October 01, 2012

Canada: Lake Louise and into the Icefields

Lake Louise at Sunrise, Banff National Park, Canada

Lake Louise is one of the most famous locations in the Canadian Rockies. I don't think I have been to a sunrise location with so many people! Mesa Arch has some competition! Despite the amount of flash happy tourists, the scenery did not disappoint. I took a late morning hike up to Lake Agnes and really wished I had time to come back for some better lighting. Unfortunately, I had to keep going. 

Cracked Mud Near Mirror Lake, Banff National Park, Canada

Moraine Lake is possibly the second most famous location in the Canadian Rockies and for good reason. I was able to shoot both sunset and sunrise at Moraine Lake, surprisingly, with only a handful of people on either end. My plans of trying to make it to Consolation Lakes for sunset had been squashed by the "rule of 4" stating that a minimum of four hikers must stay within site of each other or be fined up to $5,000. The rule is in place because of the amount of bears in the region. I hung around the trail head waiting for three willing suckers, but most of those I tried to convince were put off by the mere possibility of bears and the fact that it would be dark on our return. I have to say, it took all of my self preservation not to take the chance and go anyway. Clouds were hanging around the peaks near Moraine Lake (which was right next to the trail head for Consolation Lakes) so I figured I'd play by the rules and stay at the more populated area for sunset. The possibility of a $5,000 fine didn't seem too appealing anyway. Moraine Lake is known as a sunrise spot, since the sun hits the peaks at first light, but with the clouds that night it turned out to be an excellent sunset spot as well. 

Sunset at Moraine Lake, Banff National Park, Canada

Tower of Babel at Sunset, Banff National Park, Canada

Pine and Sky, Banff National Park, Canada

Sunrise at Moraine Lake, Banff National Park, Canada

After a successful sunrise shoot at Moraine Lake, I headed into the Icefields which are between Banff and Jasper National Parks and consists of several (dying) glaciers. This point of the trip was perhaps my favorite. I had the most freedom and solitude here. There was a lot of time to explore and I was able to find some really cool spots. One spot in particular I ended up renaming, "My Lake". 

Layers of Mountains, Icefields Parkway, Canada

Taking a Moment to Read at "My Lake", Icefields Parkway, Canada

The Flow into Mistaya Canyon, Icefields Parkway, Canada

Mistaya Canyon, Icefields Parkway, Canada

I found a beat up, duct taped together, aluminum canoe at "My Lake" and used it as both an office and a prop. I came back for sunset and enjoyed one of my favorite light shows of the trip. Every direction offered incredible color and I was ecstatic and grateful to be in such a picturesque location with such amazing light.

"My Lake" at Sunset, Icefields Parkway, Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment